[CREATE] LGM: Native GTK OS X ?

~suv suv-sf at users.sourceforge.net
Fri May 13 00:40:55 PDT 2011

On 13/5/11 05:53, Schrijver wrote:
> Gedit runs on OS X too, and it works with a native GTK just fine.
>
> As I said before, the complexity of programs like Inkscape and Gimp
> makes it harder to forego X11, but it shouldn’t be considered
> impossible.
>
> Inkscape already has wonderful OS X packaging, with a proper DMG and
> all, including many libraries. Yet it’s such a show stopper that
> prospective Mac users will first have to grab their OSX install DVD
> to install something they’ve never heard of!
>
> On Inkscape, the bug “Remove X11 dependency for Mac OS X” was filed
> 2007-07-15 https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/172064

For more recent efforts, see:

- <http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.graphics.inkscape.devel/36136>

- Bug #738947 "Use ige-mac-bundler to package the GTK/Quartz version of
               Inkscape for OSX"
  <https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/738947>

- Blueprint: A quartz version for OS X
  <https://blueprints.launchpad.net/inkscape/+spec/inkscape-quartz>

- Bug #738973 "Issues with inkscape-quartz blueprint"
  <https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/738973>

- Screenshot (March 2011) of native version:
  <http://imgh.us/inkscape-r10101-gtk-quartz-osx.png>
  (the global menu which was still used for that build is not fully
  functional, it is better to remove it for now when building a
  GTK+/Quartz version).

This is work-in-progress, but results in a working (but still
experimental, imho) version of Inkscape using the quartz backend of GTK+.

Among the known issues:
- the current global menu in Inkscape's sources doesn't work
- pasting images from the clipboard doesn't work (upstream)
- the keyboard shortcuts are still different ('Cmd' works as 'Alt')
  possibly this can be addressed with a custom gtkrc keybindings file
  (I don't know if upstream implementation issue are involved)
- status of extended input devices unknown (I don't have a tablet)
- with regard to the new bundling method: including the required python
  modules (and possibly other tools needed for input/output
  extensions) into a fully relocatable app hasn't been investigated yet
- ...
- roadmap: GTK2 is a "dead" branch now, current stable is GTK3. Any
  upstream development will happen in GTK3. Inkscape doesn't use GTK3
  yet. Possibly the focus should be on moving Inkscape to GTK3 first,
  porting that one to GTK3/X11 on OS X first, then address any remaining
  issues with the GTK3/Quartz backend.

Other bug reports & feature requests for Inkscape with GTK+/Quartz
backend: <http://tinyurl.com/5wkewr2>

~suv