[CREATE] Announcement: AWE for WordPress

Braydon ronin at braydon.com
Thu Nov 10 00:14:42 PST 2011

Hello fellow libre graphics people,

First, an update to an earlier post about a blog I'd started at
http://postsoftware.wordpress.com/, and have come to and end last month.
I have added 22 original paintings, all licensed under an
Attribution-ShareAlike, and available to download and print, and reuse,
worldwide. One painting is 60" x 72" which took 12 hours to scan with an
8.5x11 flatbed, and Gimp to stitch the 60 plus pieces together,
overheating my computer multiple times, thanks to cpulimit for
preventing that on subsequent tries. You can view all the works at
http://postsoftware.wordpress.com/downloads/

Second, I've been working on a free software "social media". Many people
have similar concerns have started other projects such as; Freedom Box (
http://freedomboxfoundation.org/ ), StatusNet ( http://status.net/ ),
Diaspora ( https://joindiaspora.com/ ), and Libre.fm ( http://libre.fm/ ).

The goal is to start with the success of WordPress, and writing a plugin
to take into consideration the "other" use-case of "consuming", reading,
and ultimately publishing, and redistribution.

I'm really excited to announce this, especially to this list because of
its graphic potential.

AWE, networked media for WordPress. It is designed to be a feed reader
with a new post type for posts read  from external blogs that you
subscribe to. These posts are held in a pending area to be used just as
a feed reader, with the added ability to "approve" the post and
redistributing it on your site. These posts are "half a post"; they will
not be indexed by external search engines that have robot spiders that
crawl the web, and the permalink goes to the original source and is not
accessible via a permalink on your own website.

Demo and video screencast: http://braydon.com/2011/11/awe-0-1-2/

Download and project page: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/awe/

Discussion mailing-list: Send an email with the subject "subscribe" to
awe-request at freelists.org / http://www.freelists.org/list/awe

Project/Git:http://code.braydon.com/p/awe/

SVN: http://plugins.svn.wordpress.org/awe/trunk/

Here are the development phases currently planned:

1. URLS, Templates, Reader:

  * COMPLETED / Editing URLS
  * COMPLETED / Managing Menus
  * COMPLETED / Editing Templates
  * COMPLETED / Feed reader

2. Accessibility & Search Engines:

  * COMPLETED / Dealing with having two types of posts "remote" and
    "local". "Remote" posts should not be indexed by search engines, and
    should only account as a referrer link, and emphasizing returning to
    the original source. There should be options for full display, or
    excerpt only.
  * Sitemap and site indexes, robots.txt to emphasis what is to be
    indexed by search engines.
  * COMPLETED / Participation upon reposting, each imported post will
    need to be published, so that there is a level of human
    participation necessary and isn't totally automated, and easily abused.
  * Make it easy to annotate the post with a personalized note.
  * Posts as reply to another post, to supplement loss of comments
    between mirrored posts, emphasis trackbacks in a clean format to
    follow discussion.

3. Extensibility, Security, Authentication, Privacy:

  * Front-end interface is extensible with an API.
  * To introduce private posting via confirmed subscriptions.
  * OpenID for network to network authentication and privacy.

4. Plugins:

  * Write extensions for AWE to add new post types including:
    advertising, video, sound, gallery, events, and shop.

5. Web Service:

  * Dedicated web host for users that don't want to run it on their own
    hardware.
  * Sign-up and payment settings.

We're looking for people to help and support the project. Please join
our  mailing list! Send an email with the subject "subscribe" to
awe-request at freelists.org / http://www.freelists.org/list/awe

Best,
Braydon
http://braydon.com