[CREATE] best practices of 3rd party data embedding

Chris Lilley chris at w3.org
Wed Apr 18 08:48:54 PDT 2012

On Wednesday, April 18, 2012, 5:35:43 PM, Alexandre wrote:

AP> Hi,

AP> Here is an interesting situation we ran into with libcdr.

AP> Corel DRAW embeds ICC profiles to CDR files to map colors to.
AP> Conceptually it's pretty much what SVG does with the whole icc-color
AP> thing. So *technically* it's possible to extract embedded ICC profiles
AP> and re-embed them to an output SVG file, then map all colors via
AP> icc-color accordingly *.

That would be the preferred solution, assuming the profiles CDR uses are valid and sensible.

AP> But how does it look like from legal standpoint? Should embedding be
AP> opt-in? Or should there be some API for annoying users with a legal
AP> question they probably wouldn't care to answer?

I think there is something in the ICC header about embedability vs. standalone use of the profile.

Or you could take the point of view that the converter has no legal opinion and if the user gives it content they don't have rights to (be that images, text, fonts, profiles, etc), that is between the user and the original rights holder to sort out.

AP> * Right now cdr2xhtml uses litlecms based conversion to sRGB via SWOP
AP> v5 profile.

AP> Alexandre Prokoudine
AP> http://libregraphicsworld.org

 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG