[CREATE] Sample files from older programs for those who would like to re-engineer

Alexandre Prokoudine alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 23:54:38 PDT 2012

On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 10:38 AM, "Christoph Schäfer" wrote:

> Here's what I have found and installed in my files (gosh! how cheap these programs were back then!):

Really? It depends. Freehand was ca. $600 in 1990s.

> - CorelDraw (Suite) 5.0 for Windows 3

libcdr already handles _all_ versions of CDR, from v1 to latest X6.
Other parts of the suite could be looked at, though.

> - Micrografx Designer 4.1 for Windows 3

Isn't it already supported by Scribus?

> - PageMaker 5.0 for Windows 3
> - QuarkXPress 3.3 for Windows 3
> - Visio 4.0 (i.e., before Visio was acquired by MS) for Windows 3

Doable.

> I also have IBM Works for OS/2 (the predecessor of SmartSuite)
> and StarOffice 5.1a for OS/2 installed.
>
> If someone is interested in reverse-engineering the Maul Publisher
> file format (Maul is a desktop publishing program for OS/2 and
> Windows), the eComStation add-on disc comprises a demo version,
> so I would be able to produce sample files as well.

The question is who is going to implement support for them.
I've yet to see Scribus team rushing to reuse libmspub.

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org