[CREATE] Status of ORA animation draft

Manuel Quiñones manuq at laptop.org
Sun Mar 25 09:11:42 PDT 2012

El día 25 de marzo de 2012 13:01, Andrew Chadwick
<a.t.chadwick at gmail.com> escribió:
> On 25/03/12 16:22, Manuel Quiñones wrote:
>> Now I see some movement in the list regarding the ORA spec.  I wonder
>> if anyone is working on the animation draft for inclusion:
>>
>> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/OpenRaster/Draft/Animation
>>
>> What I need is a bit different of what's described there. [...]
>
> I think anything marked as Proposal was probably intended as fair game.
> Most are still quite vague without any of the technical detail needed to
> be a formal part of the spec. If you want to work on it, go ahead!
>
> Personally I don't really think of OpenRaster as an animation format,
> but if it can be made to work as one in a way that's compatible with
> static image editors (ideally in a way that doesn't break when edited by
> a static image editor (good luck[1]!)), why not?  I think in order to
> keep the formal, baseline part of the spec nice and light, animation
> would have to be an extension - though possibly a very standard
> extension if it's well specified, would work with more than one app, and
> seems sound to a consensus of animators.

OK I will work on a proposal spec as an extension then.

> [1] The spec seems to omit any mention of programs preserving files,
> elements and attributes they don't understand to avoid screwing up other
> apps. I have this vague recollection it was discussed once though; and
> core MyPaint, er, doesn't do that. I'm not entirely sure what the
> mechanism would be; suggestions welcome.

Yes I have seen the same non preservation issue in the making of my
film.  I added custom tags in the ORA in my MyPaint branch.  Once the
animator started workng on it, I was saying "don't open it again in
MyPaint or in GIMP (using the ORA plugin) or it will mess your file!

Cheers,

--
.. manuq ..