[CREATE] Linear light workflow

Øyvind Kolås pippin at gimp.org
Wed Mar 28 13:03:45 PDT 2012

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 7:33 PM, Andrew Chadwick <a.t.chadwick at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 28 March 2012 17:08, Boudewijn Rempt <boud at valdyas.org> wrote:
>> I tested today in krita -- it's a little known thing that Krita supports a linear-light workflow perfectly well. Basically, it's a matter of using the right icc profile to define the working space and the example Andrew showed just works in Krita.
>>
>> Wouldn't it be easier to just define the working space with a profile in openraster, and take it from there?

The approach that I think will make sense for GIMP is not a global
working space, but as I outlined different working spaces for
different compositing/layer-modes. In GEGL each operation specifies
how it wants to work with the pixels. The implemented porter-duff
modes are in linear; the SVG variants should probably specify sRGB so
that an SVG reinterpreted as a GEGL compositing graph would render
correctly. In GEGL this does not only apply to compositing but also to
filters like blur, since blurring of a gamma corrected image also
leads to unexpected results.

/Ø
                                                 -- William Gibson
http://twitter.com/hodefoting