[CREATE] Galaxy Gauge Colours released under an Open source licence

"Christoph Schäfer" christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
Thu Aug 15 22:59:03 PDT 2013

Hi there,

Since this list didn't receive a notification of the Scribus 1.4.3 release (my bad), I hereby try to make good for it by announcing that we have convinced the owner of the Galaxy Gauge (TM) colour matching system to release all of Galaxy's colour systems under a BSD-style licence.

Moreover, Galaxy Gauge also permitted the release of digital versions of its printed colour tools (Color Harmonizer, Color Emotions) under the Open Publication License (OPL), which allowed us to include them in the Scribus documentation.

Please be aware that the Galaxy Gauge colour matching system is based on CMYK colours, so it's only of interest for projects that can handle generic CMYK data. You can check out the Galaxy colour palettes, the HTML files (including the related images) as well as the licence files from Scribus's 1.4 svn tree.

As a special bonus, the owner of Galaxy Gauge (a US citizen) is currently raising funds to provide disadvantaged schools in the United States with USB sticks that include FLOSS graphics software like GIMP, Inkscape, Scribus etc. for students. The sticks will be accompanied by gratis printed colour references, typographic gauges, and a full-fledged curriculum in FLOSS graphics for schools.

Christoph