[CREATE] [Mypaint-discuss] Resolution information in ORA

Sebastian Wahl spillerrec at gmail.com
Fri Feb 28 10:14:43 PST 2014

 > * Do we need an extra sentence or two in there saying that a) apps
 > *must* populate xres and yres if they write *any* data into the ORA
 > file with non-pixel sizes, or b) that 300ppi is a Very Good Idea these
 > days ?
Maybe we should just avoid mixing units and require the usage of pixel for
sizes? From what I see, applications only seem to treat ppi information as
meta-data for printing; changing ppi from 72 to 300 in Gimp does nothing to
the font size, 18pt stays 18pt.
What I fear is that some applications which behaves like Gimp would just
change the resolution whenever the user changes it, without updating all
the non-pixel based values. Then you would open it in another application
only to find out all the sizes have been messed up. Defining font sizes
based on ppi thus seems like the less reliable choice to me.

72 ppi does seem like the best choice for a default. The whole dpi/ppi
units are completely messed up anyway, often meaning different things in
different context, sometimes used interchangeably, other times
differentiated. If all other applications believe 72 ppi is the default,
lets just roll with it instead of risking to cause issues with novel
defaults.