[CREATE] otf•UI product vision, warm off the press...

peter sikking peter at mmiworks.net
Fri Sep 18 11:50:31 PDT 2015

hey everyone,

today we held the second openType-features UI vision session—

<https://plus.google.com/events/ch3sdlvoocpap1rs288fotqqdlc>

and this time we only needed 40 minutes to get the cat in the bag.

From what we found consensus on there I have written
this vision statement, to be used as big goal throughout
the project:

<start>
The openType-features UI project (otf•UI) is an infrastructure project closely tied to Harfbuzz. It aims to drag the user-controllable openType features out of obscurity and make them generally, and consistently, available. All platforms where Harfbuzz is used—desktop, tablet and handheld—are in scope.

Direct users of otf•UI are application developers. They get clear-cut and feasible solutions for integrating openType features with their text-editing capabilities, without the need to obtain openType/typographical domain knowledge.

End-users of otf•UI are anyone editing rich text. They get the capabilities to use openType features to make their texts communicate better and to refine their texts’ aesthetic and typographical qualities.
<stop>

procedure: one week from now, at this time, the vision
will be sealed for the rest of the project. up to then
you have the chance to start a constructive discussion,
here on the list, to refine it. I will edit the vision
where necessary, no writing-by-committee.

    --ps

        designs interaction for creatives +
        solutions with a wide impact on society

        teacher, mentor, author, lecturer