[CREATE] LGM

ale rimoldi ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Sat Nov 19 12:26:21 UTC 2022

hello everybody

i regret not having given any follow up to cédric & elisa mail this
spring.

i must say that, at that time, i wasn't that hot about an online meeting
but could not really figure out, how a real meeting could look like.

in doubt i've kept silent.

> I was thinking of organizing a small libre fonts gathering in Europe
> or USA. The ATypI.org conference is in Paris in May, so I was
> thinking about something in London (or Reading city) before/after
> that event; could also do it in Berlin since my manager at Google is
> living there again atm ;) But a lot of fonts are around New England,
> and I'm keen to get the parametric axes ideas out of Font Bureau and
> into the wider community. If this goes ahead outside of USA, perhaps
> we could figure out a way to host a larger event for all LGM
> sub-communities.

personally, i would be in favor of piggybacking another (related)
conference: we are bit "sleepy" and having a frame might help gathering
some forces and get it done!

most of all if it's in europe (from my point of vue!)

but there is one thing we must be careful with: the relationship with
(some) big companies.
i had a quick look at the atypi.org website and i could not spot any
big red flag (well, except the white A on red background you're using
as a logo... which should probably count as a red flag : - )

your employer is not be very popular in parts of the libre
graphics community and i think that any relationship with google
(and other tech giants or otherwise controversial companies/groups) must
be transparent and we need to agree in advance to the conditions of
such an involvement.

these posts are going to the create mailing list...
maybe, at some time, the discussion should continue in the lgm list,
since some of the people interesting in the lgm might not be here
(anymore).

voilà, it was nice to hear from you three again and i wish all a
wonderful weekend!

a.l.e