setting sender on signals

Havoc Pennington hp@redhat.com
26 Sep 2003 09:38:25 -0400

On Fri, 2003-09-26 at 06:21, Seth Nickell wrote:

> But I can't figure out how to send signals *as* a particular service.

You don't do that. The origin service is filled in by the bus and is
always the base service (the unique name for the app starting with a
colon).

In dbus-gproxy.c what will happen is that the GProxyManager will track
the base service name owning each service and route to proxies for
well-known services accordingly. See dbus_gproxy_new_for_service() and
dbus_gproxy_new_for_service_owner(), a proxy can be for either a
well-known service (and keep changing its actual owner) or for a unique
base service.

I haven't implemented this yet though. Basically it will work by
monitoring the service ownership change signals from the bus.

> The sender isn't filled in with the name of the service that I
> registered using dbus_bus_acquire_service, say
> "org.designfu.SomeService".

It can't be, because you could own 3 dozen services.

Think of the services as a way to locate an app, not as an interface or
object reference.

Havoc