Endian order

Sean Middleditch elanthis at awesomeplay.com
Sat Apr 10 01:10:13 EST 2004

On Fri, 2004-04-09 at 02:25 +0200, Andreas Lööw wrote:

> Hello,
>
> When I was looking at the dbus specification, I noticed the endianness
> option. I wonder why this was included in the specification instead
> of using network byte order (big endian unless I am mistaken).

As explained to me, it's more efficient.  Having to swap data between
local and network byte order (assuming they're different on your
machine) is pointless when it's quite often your machine talking to
itself.  Also, it reduces the complexity and overhead of bus, as
messages can just be passed around and not converted to and fro.

> Thanks in advance
>
> Andreas
>
> --
AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.