Session daemon quitting

Thomas Leonard tal00r at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sun Apr 11 02:01:41 EST 2004

On Sat, Apr 10, 2004 at 11:45:02AM -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-04-10 at 10:23, Thomas Leonard wrote:
[...]
> > (dbus-launch's babysitter has the same problem, as far as I can see)
> >
> > I want to make this robust, because people aren't going to be happy if
> > dbus-daemon processes start to pile up over time ;-)
>
> dbus-launch is supposed to be killing the daemon when the X connection
> is lost or pipe is lost - essentially dbus-launch represents my best
> attempt to bind the daemon to the session.
>
> If dbus-launch isn't working, then the next step is a debugging effort
> to see why not.

Yes, but what happens if dbus-launch is killed (OOM, etc)?

In fact, I'm not using it at the moment as it seemed more efficient to
start dbus-daemon-1 directly from ROX-Session.

As I say, it generally works, but it's not robust, which is what worries
me. Checking stdin seems fairly fool-proof, since ROX-Session will quit if
it loses its X connection or dies in any other way, and then dbus would
quit when it lost its pipe from ROX-Session. It also saves one process and
one X connection.

--
Thomas Leonard			http://rox.sourceforge.net
tal00r at ecs.soton.ac.uk	tal197 at users.sourceforge.net