Session daemon quitting

Thomas Leonard tal00r at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sun Apr 11 05:59:34 EST 2004

On Sat, Apr 10, 2004 at 01:55:46PM -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
[...]
> I guess you might be saying, replace the kill(daemon_pid) in the
> babysitter with a pipe to the daemon. So instead of killing the daemon
> with kill(), the babysitter just closes the pipe. We could add a
> --with-kill-pipe=FD option to the daemon I suppose and both the
> dbus-launch babysitter and ROX session could use it.

That would be great. Just one less thing to go wrong...

BTW, I noticed that the default policy has:

    <!-- Allow everything to be received -->
	<allow eavesdrop="true"/>

This seems to block errors. I had to change it to:

    <!-- Allow everything to be received -->
	<allow eavesdrop="true" requested_reply="false"/>

Otherwise, you don't even get to see the error telling you that the
security policy stopped you from seeing the original error, which isn't
too friendly... (tested with dbus-send).

Finally, calling _exit in a client automatically when the dbus daemon dies
seems a bit unfriendly. Although we never want the daemon to exit, users
should really be able to save their work. I realise this can be disabled,
but how many authors will think to change it?

--
Thomas Leonard			http://rox.sourceforge.net
tal00r at ecs.soton.ac.uk	tal197 at users.sourceforge.net