test suite failure - more detail ...

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Tue Apr 13 10:41:38 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-29 at 10:09, Michael Meeks wrote:
> 	So - the root cause us ':1.1' != 'org....'; so I know not what the
> correct solution is; either

Oh, crap. Yeah I remember this problem, I guess I didn't realize the
tests were failing because of it though.

>From the code:
/**
 * DBusGProxyManager's primary task is to route signals to the proxies
 * those signals are emitted on. In order to do this it also has to
 * track the owners of the services proxies are bound to.
 */

Basically the client should know the org.whatever -> :1.1 mapping.

See also the docs for dbus_gproxy_new_for_service() (binds to a given
service even as the owners change) and
dbus_gproxy_new_for_service_owner() (binds to a :1.1 i.e. specific app
instance).

> 	I'm guessing this is going to be a common problem though; surely, if
> emitted events don't have the service name, but a numerical handle
> instead ?

If the event is received at :1.1 then proxies done with
new_for_service() should still get the event since the ProxyManager
should know that org.whatever is owned by :1.1.