naive question ...

Tako Schotanus quintesse at palacio-cristal.com
Wed Apr 28 00:41:17 EST 2004

Sean Middleditch wrote:

>On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 09:48, Tako Schotanus wrote:
>

>>wouldn't it be great to just have some tiny examples which show off
>>this feature?
>>It should be possible to start some kind of small program which says
>>something like "plug or un-plug a USB device" and have it output a
>>message when this happens. Would be great for us newbies to get a feel
>>for the system.
>>

>Go take a look at HAL, it does these things.

Well HAL  (http://freedesktop.org/Software/hal for those people who like
me were maybe wondering where it could be found) seems to be only for
2.6 kernels so that's no option.

Besides the fact that I think that small example that show off how dbus
works should be found _here_ instead of having to look around (and look
_hard_!)  to find them.

It seems to be pretty hard to to just say: want to use dbus? Well just
take a look at <this code> to get an idea or: just insert <this code>
into your application as a simple starting point.

For me, I just want to control an application (either remote or not)
using dbus, because I think it is perfect for it, but without any
howtos/tutorials/examples it just takes too much time and effort while I
know that I could make YANP (Yet Another Non-standard Protocol) in no
time. The point is that I don't _want_ to make YANP, I _want_ to use
dbus! :-)

Please don't take this as criticism, I wouldn't mind writing a couple of
simple examples myself if I would only understand how everything works.
It's just that, while I know dbus isn't used yet by a large group of
people, there _must_ be somebody out there that has written code that he
thinks could help other people understand more how things work!

Cheers,
 -Tako