dbus-daemon-1 --system seems to crash

Bryan Clark bclark at redhat.com
Wed Aug 4 06:49:24 PDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-08-04 at 09:23 +0000, Kristof Vansant wrote:
> Are there known problems with dbus 0.21?
> Because it seems to crash with --system
> if I start dbus-daemon-1 --system
> ps shows no dbus-daemon-1 process running
> and if I try to run dbus-daemon-1 again, it complaints that pid file
> already exists
> can I enable debug or something?

yes, debugging dbus is a little tricky, but it will probably tell you
exactly why it isn't starting up.  This is how I debug dbus, maybe
someone else has a slightly cleaner system.  This is all done as root,
just to be clear.

First backup your system.conf file [*]
	cp /etc/dbus-1/system.conf /etc/dbus-1/system.conf.bak

Edit the system.conf file to remove this section
	<!-- Fork into daemon mode -->
	<fork/>

Then export the following variable (bash syntax)
	export DBUS_VERBOSE=1

Now run 'dbus-daemon-1 --system' and it should not fork, printing out
the errors to stdout

Good Luck,
~ Bryan

[*] This part might be skipped and just use the --config-file=FILE
option, however dbus always complained that there was a system.conf file
already so I was never sure about this.