hal_initialize() overrides other filter/object/fallback functions on separate connection

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Sun Aug 8 09:36:15 PDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-08-08 at 18:25 +0200, Olivier Andrieu wrote:
>  Kay Sievers [Sun, 08 Aug 2004]:
>  > Isn't the dbus_connection_add_filter() more a global filter for
>  > incoming messages of a connection, than a filter for specific
>  > messages delivered to the D-BUS users? More intended to _intercept_
>  > the general message handling in D-BUS?
>
> Yes, I think that's the idea.

If dbus_connection_add_filter() is only for language bindings / higher-
level API's this needs to be stated in the documentation.

>  > libhal uses this global filter mechanism to dispatch the signals to
>  > the registered HAL user functions. Can't libhal (or other libraries
>  > too) just use dbus_connection_register_object_path() to get called
>  > at incoming messages for the objects paths it is intersted in?
>
> Absolutely.

I beg to differ :-). Sometimes you want to listen to all signals
regardless of the object path and this is currently only possible with
_add_filter() if I'm not mistaken.

Cheers,
David

p.s. : the doxygen documentation for _register_object_path() is wrong