Distributed services

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Thu Aug 12 20:13:12 PDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-08-12 at 19:07, Don Park wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Aug 2004, André Goddard Rosa wrote:
>
> > DBUS can be used to register an unique identifier through a couple of
> > netwoked node?
> >
> > So, if I register service:
> > AAA on machine A
> > and
> > AAA on machine B
> > at the same time,
> >
> > only one will get registered?
>
> Im new to the list but I saw Havoc's talk at OSCON in Portland Oregon. I
> believe there is no mechanism to communicate between machines so AAA on
> machine A will be registered only on machine A and not be reachable by
> machine B. Also I believe the service can be registered in a "desktop
> session" context and/or in a global context (still on a single machine).

Exactly.

The particular bus daemon that's running defines a scope. The two bus
daemons predefined are the per-machine daemon and the per-user-session
daemon (system.conf and session.conf specifically).

You could define a per-intranet or per-internet daemon, but you'd have
to specify how and where it gets launched, and how applications would
locate and connect to it. D-BUS is really not designed for this though,
so while it would work I'm not sure D-BUS will have the right properties
for this sort of usage.