unconfigurable limits

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Tue Aug 17 02:44:05 PDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-17 at 01:47 +0200, Kay Sievers wrote:
> The hal-device-manager the python application using D-BUS is still
> unusable, cause of the hard coded D-BUS limits.

This is simply because the high-level python bindings needs to expose
some API to subscribe to signals without specifying an object path.

Hence, for every device object exported by the hal daemon, h-d-m adds
two rules because we are interested in two signals PropertyModified and
DeviceCondition. Remember, h-d-m is just a crude hack meant for
development, it's not production quality (though some distributions
actually include it). The idea is that if a desktop environment, GNOME,
KDE, whatever, wants to use, they should write their own GUI for
handling hal signals.

I'm sure Seth will accept some patch for the high-level python bindings
so perhaps one patch would make this possible

  bus.add_signal_receiver(device_changed,                 # local method
                          "PropertyModified",             # signal
                          "org.freedesktop.Hal.Device",   # interface
                          "org.freedesktop.Hal",          # service
                          None)                           # object

so we can match all objects.

[snip]

> Btw: I've updated the "Get on the D-BUS" picture :)
>   http://vrfy.org/projects/dbus/D-BUS-limit.jpg

Hah, that's funny, keep the marketing material coming!

Take care,
David