[patch] Assorted changes to the mono bindings

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Mon Aug 30 12:59:47 PDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-30 at 11:32 -0500, Jon Trowbridge wrote:
> The attached patch:
>
> * Exposes the message that is being processed via a static property,
> DBus.Message.Current.  We need this to be able to map object back to the
> service that sent the message.

Won't this API preclude use of threads?

> * Binds dbus_bus_get_base_service as a DBus.Connection property.

We should probably change libdbus to cache this on the DBusConnection so
there's no round trip to track it. Maybe in dbus-bus.c if there's
already per-connection data stored in there, I don't remember.

> * Defines a DBus.BusDriver class for using the org.freedesktop.DBus
> service.  Among other things, this makes it easy to get ServiceCreated
> and ServiceDeleted notifications.
>
> These changes allow us to properly manage the life-cycles of remote
> objects.  Since we can map objects back to the client that created them,
> we know which objects to discard when we get a ServiceDeleted.  It also
> allows us to do access control, so a service can detect when one client
> is trying to call methods on another client's objects.

Is this something exposed to apps or is it "behind the scenes" in mono
bindings, e.g. maybe proxies just have a destroy signal when their
proxied object vanishes as in glib bindings.