Mono bindings

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Sat Mar 20 09:26:24 PST 2004

On Sat, 2004-03-20 at 12:07, Owen Fraser-Green wrote:
> I tried to use the dbus-sharp bindings announced here a couple of weeks
> ago only to find that, unfortunately, they didn't really bind very much
> - only the glib functions but not the actual DBUS API.
>
> Seeing as I really rather wanted to use DBUS from C# I started tinkering
> with the mono code in the dbus source that Havoc started some time ago.
> I now have bindings working for send_with_reply_and_block messages using
> reflection to get the message signatures from .NET classes and
> Reflection.Emit to build proxy assemblies on the fly on the client side.
>
> The code is still very alpha but vaguely useful. Would you like me to
> put it somewhere? If so, where? In the dbus tree replacing the mono code
> already there? Or should I hop over to the mono list and ask there?

You're welcome to put it in the dbus tree. Keep in mind that wrapping
the whole D-BUS API doesn't make sense; much of the D-BUS API exists
purely to use in wrapper/binding implementations. Binding the binding
glue is pretty useless. ;-)

My thought for Mono was to assume the GLib main loop and all that since
Mono uses GLib anyhow.