Cannot connect to message bus

Anthony Metcalf anthony.metcalf at anferny.ath.cx
Tue May 4 21:24:50 EST 2004

On Tue, 04 May 2004 12:13:15 +0200
Simon Ask Ulsnes <simon at ulsnes.dk> wrote:

> Hi there!
> I am running DBUS from CVS with HAL and the newest Hotplug on Gentoo
> Linux with a 2.6.4 kernel.
> dbus-daemon-1 is running, but dbus-monitor still tells me:
>
> Failed to open connection to session message bus: Unable to determine
> the address of the message bus
>
> What to do?

I had this problem too, the solution is to use the break my gentoo
ebuild at least once, this will put a script, /etc/init.d/messagebus
which you can use to start it, and add it to a run level. Once it's in
once you can go back to the normal gentoo ebuild, or build from source.
The script won't be deleted.

I did put a bug in for dbus @ bugs.gentoo.org but I'm not sure is the
script hase made its way into the official ebuild yet.