patch review process

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Tue May 11 15:35:39 PDT 2004

Hi,

I was reviewing patches today, will post comments on them in a minute,
but first a general thought on how to get patches looked at quicker.
Basically I added the following to HACKING, let me know what you think:

        Please file them at http://bugzilla.freedesktop.org under
        component
        dbus, and also post to the mailing list for discussion.  The
        commit
        rules are:

         - for fixes that don't affect API or protocol, they can be
        committed
           if any one qualified reviewer other than patch author
           reviews and approves

         - for fixes that do affect API or protocol, two people
           in the reviewer group have to review and approve the commit,
        and
           posting to the list is definitely mandatory

         - if there's a live unresolved controversy about a change,
           don't commit it while the argument is still raging.

         - regardless of reviews, to commit a patch:
            - make check must pass
            - the test suite must be extended to cover the new code
              as much as reasonably feasible
            - the patch has to follow the portability, security, and
              style guidelines
            - the patch should as much as reasonable do one thing,
              not many unrelated changes
           No reviewer should approve a patch without these attributes,
        and
           failure on these points is grounds for reverting the patch.

        The reviewer group that can approve patches: Havoc Pennington,
        Michael
        Meeks, Alex Larsson, Zack Rusin, Joe Shaw, Mikael Hallendal,
        Richard
        Hult, Owen Fraser-Green, Olivier Andrieu.