How do y'all test?

Tako Schotanus quintesse at palacio-cristal.com
Sat May 15 08:01:47 PDT 2004

I was just wondering, how do you guys test the CVS version of dbus if
you've got a dbus package installed as well (that you don't want to
remove yet)?

If I just leave everything as is (package installed in /usr and cvs in
/usr/local) any code compiled against cvs still wants to link with the
old libs. Of course I just set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to get around this, but
is that the best way of doing this? I'm asking because my Linux
development knowledge is limited so I just want to know if there is a
better way of doing this. Or does everybody just remove any packages and
go 100% with the cvs version?

BTW: Are 2 "peers" built against cvs able to comunicate over an "old" bus?

I still have one remaining problem and that is that I'm unable to launch
a system bus (as root) although a session bus starts just fine. Anything
obvious that I might be doing wrong?

"dbus-daemon-1 --fork --print-pid 0 --print-address 0 --session" works

"dbus-daemon-1 --fork --print-pid 0 --print-address 0 --system" doesn't
(no errors, just does nothing)

Cheers,
 -Tako