How do y'all test?

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Sat May 15 19:01:13 PDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-05-15 at 11:01, Tako Schotanus wrote:
> If I just leave everything as is (package installed in /usr and cvs in
> /usr/local) any code compiled against cvs still wants to link with the
> old libs. Of course I just set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to get around this, but
> is that the best way of doing this? I'm asking because my Linux
> development knowledge is limited so I just want to know if there is a
> better way of doing this. Or does everybody just remove any packages and
> go 100% with the cvs version?

LD_LIBRARY_PATH is the normal approach. You can write a script like:

  #! /bin/bash
  export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=yourprefix/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
  export PATH=yourprefix/bin:$PATH
  $*

Then if the script is "foobar" run "foobar myapplication"

jhbuild comes with a built-in way to do this, "jhbuild run
myapplication"

> BTW: Are 2 "peers" built against cvs able to comunicate over an "old" bus?

Only when the protocol hasn't changed. See back compat notes in the
README, we are not to 1.0 yet.

> I still have one remaining problem and that is that I'm unable to launch
> a system bus (as root) although a session bus starts just fine. Anything
> obvious that I might be doing wrong?
>
> "dbus-daemon-1 --fork --print-pid 0 --print-address 0 --session" works
>
> "dbus-daemon-1 --fork --print-pid 0 --print-address 0 --system" doesn't
> (no errors, just does nothing)

Try "strace -f", verbose output, etc. see what it's up to.