"Failed to start message bus" problem

Nikola Pizurica pizurica at neobee.net
Thu Nov 4 04:32:25 PST 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-04 at 03:36 -0800, Daniel Stone wrote:

> > Failed to start message bus: Failed to bind socket
> > "/var/run/dbus/system_bus_soc ket": Address already in use

> ... what version is your dbus?  (dpkg -l dbus-1)

0.22+cvs.10971
Although I had this problem before I've upgraded, I did that because I
thought it might solve my problem.

> Try running sudo /etc/init.d/dbus-1 stop; sleep 15; sudo
> /etc/init.d/dbus-1 start

No error reported, and after couple of reboots it doesn't complain on
boot about dbus starting.
Starting/restarting of hal also gives me no error, but it still doesn't
show in system monitor that hal is running (should it show it?) and
fails to start gnome-volume-manager with this error:

libhal.c 644 : Error connecting to system bus: Failed to connect to
socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: Input/output error

** (gnome-volume-manager:5055): WARNING **: manager.c/900: failed to
initialize HAL!

Nikola