Can I use D-Bus via network?

akitzing at bndlg.de akitzing at bndlg.de
Thu Nov 11 07:35:14 PST 2004

Hi,

my name is Alexander, at the moment I'm writing my diploma thesis.

A central issue of my diploma thesis is communication of different
applications using Qt's Signal/Slot technology over TCP/IP networks.

One approach I tried was DCOP. The interprocess communication with signal/slot
worked quite well with DCOP. The problem was, that it only worked on a single
computer. So far I didn't succeed in attaching a DCOP-Client to a DCOP-Server
which is running on a foreign computer. I don't know if this possibility is
implemented in DCOP or not. If you know it, please tell me.

So, let's talk about D-Bus. After my DCOP approach failed, I had a look at
D-Bus. There is one point I couldn't find out with the help of the
documentation:

Is it possible to communicate with D-Bus over a TCP/IP network?

The only thing I read in the documentation concerning this context was
something like: "An adress can also specify TCP/IP sockets, [...]". Does this
mean that D-Bus can communicate via network? (I also read that DCOP can work
with TCP/IP Sockets, but it didn't work over network).

If D-Bus is able to work via network, can you tell me how I can establish the
connection?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Best regards,

 Alexander