Multiple connections to the same bus from the same client

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Sat Oct 2 22:45:23 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-28 at 12:57 +0200, Kay Sievers wrote:
> And remember not to return DBUS_HANDLER_RESULT_HANDLED cause this will
> prevent the delivery to the other part of your process (you may not even
> know about that).
>
> There was a long thread about this and I'm still not happy with the
> current behavior:
>   http://freedesktop.org/pipermail/dbus/2004-August/001420.html

See also:
http://freedesktop.org/pipermail/dbus/2004-September/001575.html
http://freedesktop.org/pipermail/dbus/2004-August/001511.html

Don't get me wrong, I'm not fully happy with current behavior either.
But I think just encouraging tons of DBusConnection is a poor solution,
we should be able to do better by fully understanding the problem and
either fixing issues that keep us from sharing one message queue between
multiple code modules, or introducing multiple message queues without
the overhead of tons of file descriptors. Someone needs to really think
this one through and write it down.