[patch] direct service connections

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Sun Oct 31 14:45:45 PST 2004

On Sun, 2004-10-31 at 17:50 -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:

Forgot to reply to this:

> A harder one is that we probably have to split the object tree from the
> connection objects. So e.g. signals would go out over all connections
> using that object tree.

Hm, complicated.  So the libdbus level would filter duplicates out?
I was thinking that with direct connections, you open up the possibility
for two different processes to "own" the same service, at least in
theory (in practice I don't think that will happen).  But if that
does happen, then why are we treating signals specially?  What
if a listening service wants to take some response to that signal -
perhaps doing some method call on the originating object?  In that
case you also get duplicate method calls going back...unless there is
filtering at the libdbus level, and that sounds hard.