DBus wire protocol padding

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Fri Aug 5 09:04:08 EST 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-04 at 23:40 +0200, Jakub Piotr Cłapa wrote:
> What is the offset used when calculating padding? Is it always
> calculated from the beginning of the message (body elements padding from
> the beginning of the body?)?

The beginning of the header and of the body have to be 8-byte aligned.
The other paddings are then aligned with respect to the beginning of the
header or body, yes. So a double has to be at a multiple of 8 bytes from
the start of the header or body.

> What the suggested offset would be when it is used as a universal
> marshaling protocol (the possibility is mentioned in the spec)?

Not sure what a universal marshaling protocol is (even if I did mention
it in the spec ;-))