DBUS message formats

Gerrit van der Bij gerrit at vanderbij.org
Mon Dec 12 04:50:33 PST 2005

Hi there,

I've read the documentation that accompanies the debian package of
dbus-1, in particular the message formats.

I agree with XML having far too much overhead. Binary protocols are
better suited for the purpose of IPC.
I have been experimenting with writing my own SNMP-engines in JAVA, and
at the heart of SNMP lies the ASN.1 BER specification. (ASN.1 Binary
Encoding Rules)
This is a binary specification which is (nearly) as lightweigth as the
message protocol used by DBUS.
So I wondered: Wouldn't it be more practical to adopt the ASN.1 BER
specification for your messages ?
That way, you can write the specification of the message format in the
ASN.1 language, which is a standard for these kind of things.
(In the long term, the DBUS messages could be sent via SNMP to other
machines, and vice versa)

I'd offer my coding skills but I've just migrated from C to object
oriented programming and I am blissfully unaware of how to code anything
else than a single executable..

w/regards,

Gerrit van der Bij