problems understanding the output of dbus-monitor (security policy)

Ikke eikke@eikke.com
Tue Jan 11 01:49:56 PST 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-10 at 16:52 -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-01-10 at 22:42 +0100, Ikke wrote:
> >
> > Grmbl, still trying to get *anything* on the session bus working, no
> > reveal :(
> >
> > Has someone got some simple C code that sends out an event on the
> > session bus?
> >

> There are a bunch of test programs in the source tree...
>
> Try running the bus under DBUS_VERBOSE=1
>
> Havoc

I tried this [1] test program.

dbus-launch --sh-syntax
(copy paste output so things are exported, also pasted in other console)

gcc -o test-dbus-glib `pkg-config --libs --cflags dbus-glib-1`
test-dbus-glib.c

./test-dbus-glib
Services on the message bus:
  :1.7
  :1.10
Got EXPECTED error from calling unknown method: D-BUS error
org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: org.freedesktop.DBus does not
understand message ThisMethodDoesNotExist
Failed to complete Activate call: D-BUS error
org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceNotFound: The service
org.freedesktop.DBus.TestSuiteEchoService was not found in the
activation entry list

So the test fails.

This is what I get in dbus-monitor --session on that other console:
signal interface=org.freedesktop.DBus; member=ServiceCreated;
sender=org.freedesktop.DBus
string::1.10
method call interface=org.freedesktop.DBus; member=Hello; sender=:1.10
error name=org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied;
sender=org.freedesktop.DBus
string:A security policy in place prevents this sender from sending this
message to this recipient, see message bus configuration file (rejected
message had interface "(unset)" member "(unset)" error name
"org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod" destination ":1.10")
method call interface=org.freedesktop.DBus; member=AddMatch;
sender=:1.10
string:type='signal',sender='org.freedesktop.DBus',path='/org/freedesktop/DBus',interface='org.freedesktop.DBus'
method call interface=org.freedesktop.DBus; member=ListServices;
sender=:1.10
error name=org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied;
sender=org.freedesktop.DBus
string:A security policy in place prevents this sender from sending this
message to this recipient, see message bus configuration file (rejected
message had interface "(unset)" member "(unset)" error name
"org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod" destination ":1.10")
error name=org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied;
sender=org.freedesktop.DBus
string:A security policy in place prevents this sender from sending this
message to this recipient, see message bus configuration file (rejected
message had interface "(unset)" member "(unset)" error name
"org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod" destination ":1.10")
signal interface=org.freedesktop.DBus; member=ServiceDeleted;
sender=org.freedesktop.DBus
string::1.10

I have got "<allow send_requested_reply="false"/>" inside the default
policy context in /etc/dbus-1/session.conf

I'll try to get a CVS pull from DBUS now, make and make check/test.

Regards, Ikke

[1]
http://cvs.freedesktop.org/dbus/dbus/test/glib/test-dbus-glib.c?rev=1.8&view=markup