D-BUS for Network RPC

Waldo Bastian bastian@kde.org
Wed Jan 19 10:51:01 PST 2005

On Wednesday 19 January 2005 18:29, Mike Hearn wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 10:42:07 -0500, Stephen J. Scheck wrote:
> > I'm also looking at CORBA/Orbit, which seems too
> > complex, and Sun/ONC RPC, which seems a little dated. And I don't want
> > to use any of the XML-based RPC protocols (SOAP, XML-RPC), since they
> > only seem to be implemented on top of HTTP and I don't want to have to
> > run a full-fledged HTTP server for simple RPC support.
>
> You might also want to check out ICE. It's apparently a better kind of
> CORBA.

ICE is used by XSM (X Session Management protocol) and DCOP. Comparing it with
CORBA is like comparing a wall with a house, it's not a matter of one being
better than the other, it's a matter of what matches better with your needs.
Although ICE is modular in the sense that you can hook it up with different
transport layers, it doesn't come with any secure transport layers so I
wouldn't recommend it for use over a network.

I would take a second look at XML-based RPC protocols, HTTP is quite simple
and you don't need a full fledged HTTP server in order to use it. It being
very popular probably also means that there is plenty of stuff out there
ready to use.

Cheers,
Waldo
--