Ok for a 0.24 release?

Sean Middleditch elanthis at awesomeplay.com
Mon Jan 31 12:33:56 PST 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 15:26 -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> I'm also kind of worried about having a soname of 100 by the time we get
> to 1.0

"Perhaps, but it seems silly to make work for everyone, create
compatibility problems between operating systems, and discourage
adoption of new versions, purely for aesthetic reasons."

Right out of one of your own papers, dude.  ;-)

Seriously, though, it's pre-release software, I'd say that anyone using
D-BUS in a production environment at this point should have been
prepared for this, so not bumping the soname is probably quite
acceptable.  The only distros I'm personally familiar with that use D-
BUS make an explicit dependency on the D-BUS version, so they shouldn't
see any runtime breakages due to soname-based package dependencies.