Monitoring lifetimes with Python bindings

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Fri Jul 8 06:14:51 EST 2005

On Thu, 2005-07-07 at 15:56 -0400, John (J5) Palmieri wrote:

> This has its ups and downs.  The main problem is that you may want to
> attach to the destroy signal before the name appears on the bus.

This is part of the distinction the GLib bindings make between
dbus_g_proxy_new_for_name and dbus_g_proxy_new_for_name_owner.  In the
first case it's not an error to create a proxy for a nonexistent name.
We do need a "created" signal on the proxy though.

> Either way, adding API to the bus object makes sense because then you
> can do things like register a handler to tell you whenever a name that
> starts with a particular namespace, say org.gnome.Service.*, is acquired
> on the bus.

I guess, although I wonder how much that would be used.