[patch] add owner-changed signal to DBusGProxy

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Thu Jul 14 05:44:48 EST 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-13 at 13:42 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> It seems people want to monitor when a service appears/disappears; I
> think it makes a lot of sense to have a signal on a name proxy instead
> of having people manually creating a proxy for the bus and watching
> NameOwnerChanged.

Maybe you should have a dbus_g_proxy_get_owner() to go with this, which
would normally not need to make a remote call and thus be convenient?

> Here's a patch, also fixes:
>
> o Drop the regenerate-built-sources stuff for marshal list, use
>   Automake's BUILT_SOURCES

Be sure to try this with a clean checkout, and with srcdir != builddir

The reason for the hack is that trying to do it cleanly never seemed to
work for all the cases. GTK has some crazy complicated Makefile rules
for this kind of thing. As long as you try it and feel you understand
the issues the patch is fine, but do try it, in my experience the
obvious thing doesn't work and either always rebuilds or fails to
rebuild in certain cases I don't remember. Check for both failure modes
(always rebuilds regardless of dependencies, and never rebuilds).
Owen can probably explain the actual issues here.