[patch] connection_open/connection_disconnect lacks symmetry (TODO Item)

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Mon Jun 6 17:52:49 PDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-06-06 at 14:50 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:

> I'm going to commit something like the attached patch instead of
> reverting John's commit.

Looks smart.

> Perhaps all the work going for 1.0 should be moved to a branch the
> moment we need to break ABI? I'm mostly concerned about e.g. jhbuild and
> the fact that more and more GNOME stuff for 2.12 is starting to use
> D-BUS in non-trivial ways.

I think interested parties should just take a week and help J5 push
through to 1.0, by either punting or implementing TODO items. Either
they are really needed before we can lock down or not, and there's clear
demand to lock down.

On some level it'd be nice to wait for KDE 4, but since that's a year
out or so...

Maybe we could ask Waldo to do an initial 2-week pass at putting dbus in
KDE, just to identify any glaring problems.

Anyway, we seem to be treating 1.0 as an impossible goal when really
it's probably easier to get to 1.0 than to deal with even one more round
of soname-incrementing breakage.