[patch] connection_open/connection_disconnect lacks symmetry (TODO Item)

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Wed Jun 8 09:25:50 PDT 2005

On Tuesday 07 June 2005 02:52, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-06-06 at 14:50 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> > I'm going to commit something like the attached patch instead of
> > reverting John's commit.
>
> Looks smart.
>
> > Perhaps all the work going for 1.0 should be moved to a branch the
> > moment we need to break ABI? I'm mostly concerned about e.g. jhbuild and
> > the fact that more and more GNOME stuff for 2.12 is starting to use
> > D-BUS in non-trivial ways.
>
> I think interested parties should just take a week and help J5 push
> through to 1.0, by either punting or implementing TODO items. Either
> they are really needed before we can lock down or not, and there's clear
> demand to lock down.
>
> On some level it'd be nice to wait for KDE 4, but since that's a year
> out or so...
>
> Maybe we could ask Waldo to do an initial 2-week pass at putting dbus in
> KDE, just to identify any glaring problems.

Development for KDE 4 has started and I hope to be able to get a proof of
concept port going Real Soon Now (tm). The final release of KDE 4 will be
about a year away but we should be able to get a good understanding of any
potential problems within the next three months or so.

The "sending messages to one self" problem that John mentioned is one of the
things that will need to be solved btw.

Cheers,
Waldo