ServiceOwnerChanged wakes up everybody?

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Thu Jun 9 06:04:33 PDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 15:13 +0300, Kimmo.Hamalainen at nokia.com wrote:
>  [I wondered, among other things, whether the
> wait-forever-for-more-memory strategy used in some parts of the code fits
> well to embedded devices that may have e.g. ulimit to the process. It could
> cause a deadlock...]

Waiting is only used where there's nothing else possible I could think
of (well, maybe exiting would be the alternative). In most places OOM
causes an error. Exiting the system dbus is going to break your system
basically so exiting isn't a good option imo.

> After reading some of the D-BUS code I noticed several places where alloca()
> could be maybe used instead of strdup() and free(). That would probably require
> maximum sizes for e.g. service names etc. but could speedup somewhat.

The current performance profile doesn't have memory allocation as a hot
spot iirc. The major problem right now is the message parsing code.