python bindings

Sean Meiners Sean.Meiners at linspireinc.com
Mon Jun 13 12:26:02 PDT 2005

I'm working on a D-BUS based (version 0.33) daemon using the python bindings
and have run into a snag.  The daemon will be only be communicating on the
system bus and will be starting on boot like most other daemons.  The problem
is that as far as I can tell the only way to receive events is by calling
gtk.main() to enter the gtk even loop.  Of course, since there is no X server
running, the whole program fails to even load with the following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./netd.py", line 10, in ?
    import gtk
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py", line 37,
in ?
    from _gtk import *
RuntimeError: could not open display

Does anyone know how to get around this (without starting an X server)?

--
Sean Meiners
Sean.Meiners at LinspireInc.com

Perl - $Just @when->$you ${thought} s/yn/tax/ &couldn\'t %get $worse;