Object path demarshalling in GLib bindings

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Tue Jun 14 09:02:11 PDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-14 at 11:08 +0100, Ross Burton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> With the glib bindings the server can send an object to the client
> (marshaled as a GObject server side, demarshaled to a DBusGProxy client
> side), but the reverse doesn't work: currently I can't send a object
> from the client to the server.  The attached patch changes the object
> de-marshaling code which is called in this situation to create a proxy
> instead of trying to find the object path in the connection, as that
> just won't work (it's registered on the other end of the connection).

Havoc pointed out a while back that creating proxies is expensive at the
moment since it sends a message to the bus (AddMatch).  So we really
need to either:

1) Make creating proxies not expensive; perhaps there's some way we
   can detect in GLib when someone calls g_signal_connect and only
   do the AddMatch then?
2) Back off creating proxies, and have DBUS_TYPE_G_OBJECT_PATH and
   have clients create proxies manually or use an existing proxy
   as desired