Problem with glib signal bindings

Ross Burton ross at burtonini.com
Thu Jun 16 04:51:06 PDT 2005

Hi,

At the moment the GLib bindings use the existing gobject introspection
to export all signals on an object over the bus when the object is
registered.  I believe this is wrong, and we need to extend the IDL
parser to use the signal declarations defined in the XML, and not rely
in introspection in this case.

Example: I have a Listener interface which is implemented by my client
library.   This interface defines a few methods and no signals. It
receives method calls as events happen, and then fires signals so that
the rest of the library (which doesn't know about DBus) is informed.
However, when I register this object with DBus every time I fire a
signal the bindings try and send it over the bus.   For some reason they
can't (the marshaling fails) which is handy, as otherwise I'd never have
noticed the extra traffic this is causing.

Ross
Ross Burton                                 mail: ross at burtonini.com
                                          jabber: ross at burtonini.com
                                     www: http://www.burtonini.com./