dbus tutorial terminology

Kalle Vahlman kalle.vahlman at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 05:16:59 PDT 2005

No comments on the tutorial part (I'm not sure of the current-ness of
it), but...

On 6/26/05, Don Park <donp at personaltelco.net> wrote:
[snip]
> dbus-send --dest=org.freedesktop.DBus /org/freedesktop/DBus
> org.freedesktop.DBus.ListNames
>
> success! although there is no output from this command. Also I can make up
> a method name
>
> dbus-send --dest=org.freedesktop.DBus /org/freedesktop/DBus
> org.freedesktop.DBus.ListNothings
>
> still nothing. No error given.
>
> Whats missing? I assume ListNames is an actual function or an error
> message would be given.

No, you have to specifically ask for the reply to be printed with
dbus-send (the --print-reply argument). It doesn't give an error on
the bogus function name, as it is not an error from the dbus-send
point of view. It just sends the request and gets the reply, if asked
to do so. If the reply happens to be an error, that's none of
dbus-send's businnes (as it will only complain errors on syntax and
bus communication, not on the content of the messages).

Kalle Vahlman, zuh at iki.fi