dbus tutorial terminology

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Sun Jun 26 18:42:01 PDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-06-26 at 10:06 -0700, Don Park wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Jun 2005, Havoc Pennington wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 2005-06-25 at 19:11 -0700, Don Park wrote:
> > > proxy = dbus_g_proxy_new_for_name (connection,
> > >                                      DBUS_SERVICE_ORG_FREEDESKTOP_DBUS,
> > >                                      DBUS_PATH_ORG_FREEDESKTOP_DBUS,
> > >                                      DBUS_INTERFACE_ORG_FREEDESKTOP_DBUS);
> > DBUS_SERVICE_DBUS (as it's now renamed) is the bus name. A service is a
> > program that owns well-known bus names. You are probably right that we
>
> Im still a bit confused. Aren't "system" asnd "session" the bus names?

I think we're calling those "bus types" - they are the two different
standard daemon instances with defined ways to locate them.

Bus names are the names managed by the bus that refer to apps connected
to the bus.

> I would have thought that --systme and --session specify the bus name. How
> is --dest different?

--system/--session chooses the systemwide daemon, vs. the daemon running
in the user's session. --dest is which app on the bus to send a message
to.

The glossary in the spec and/or the diagram on the home page may or may
not be helpful, not sure.