Autosave D-BUS message?

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Wed Jun 29 07:09:26 PDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-29 at 09:13 +0200, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> What kind of preparations do we expect applications to take? Is there anything
> other than "The network is about to die"

Unfortunately it's more like "the network just died" which makes it much
more difficult to for apps to cope with.

> that applications may be concerned
> about?

Well, some apps really don't want some transaction to be interrupted -
the CD burning example I gave in the other mail is valid I think.

So, basically you want to provide both state-change information about
connection to networks as well as power management. There was a BOF
about power management at GUADEC and some more (crackful) ideas like
sending out a signal "the disk is now spinned up" for applications to
catch and automatically opportunistically auto save open documents came
up too. I think it's pretty important to keep these interfaces simple
and clean otherwise no-one will bother use them.

There may be other things too than networking and power management.

> Because that's something that you may want to handle as part of a more
> generic online/offline network manager service.

Yea - NetworkManager already does this FWIW.

    David