D-BUS API and ABI (was: Re: ANNOUNCE: D-Bus - 0.31 released)

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Mon Mar 7 15:17:22 PST 2005

On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 04:43:51PM -0500, John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
> Get it while its hot.  Be on the bleeding edge.  D-BUS 0.31 has been
> released featuring a much cleaned up API and fantastic new type system
> along with updated python, mono and glib-bindings.  This is an unstable
> release pit stop on the road to 1.0.  Make your apps compatible or be
> left in the dust.

Just out of curiousity, what's the status of 0.31 with regards to the
ABI?  0.23.1, at least (a point release!) broke the ABI by removing
a function (renaming it), and didn't bump the soversion -- everyone
with stuff built against libdbus who used that symbol had to rebuild.
And it silently broke, because packaging systems don't take ABI changes
without soversion bumps into account.

Which is a shame, because that's a *point* release, so I was really
hoping to be able to integrate it, especially for all the Mono fixes.

Despite the fact that D-BUS is still in beta and all that, there's still
a published library, and lots of people still use that.  And the API
cleanup is worthy, but can we please batch the entire lot for one big
cleanup in a later release where we can bump the major soversion?  I
mean, D-BUS as it stands is unpackageable.  And while it's nice to say
that it's in beta, that doesn't make apps like HAL, Beagle, etc, just
magically go away.

Also, breaking API in point releases is generally considered poor form.

-d