dbus 0.23.3

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Thu Mar 10 09:24:41 PST 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-10 at 11:59 -0500, Joe Shaw wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 2005-03-10 at 09:26 -0500, John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
> > Was the memory leak also in HEAD and now that you patched the mono
> > bindings should I do a point release of 0.31?
>
> Yes, the leaks were also in HEAD and I fixed them there as well.  The
> only thing I wasn't sure about is whether strings extracted from
> dbus_message_iter_get_basic() need to be freed.  My brief investigation
> seemed to imply that they didn't.

They're tied to the lifecycle of the message, yeah.

> Anyway, a new release would probably be a good idea sooner or later, but
> I wouldn't do a point release.  It seems people have expectations of
> compatibility there, and I know that Colin has checked in additional
> work on the glib bindings. :)

The additional work has only added new API, which I'm fairly confident
we can commit to permanently.

Incidentally the latest CVS is at the point where I'd say the
client-side wrappers are "usable" in that strings actually work.  I
think at this point you could quite painlessly write a D-BUS service and
client using just dbus/dbus-glib.h.