DBus reconnect support (initial attempt)

Tomislav Vujec tvujec at redhat.com
Mon Mar 14 17:14:17 PST 2005

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 18:22:26 -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> The system bus will be restarted on reboot, however often that happens.
> For my personal system that's several times a day, as apm and acpi are
> broken on my laptop.

I think that the fact that acpi is broken on your laptop should be
considered a bug. I was in a same situation a couple of months ago, but
ever since I managed to reliably suspend, my uptime holds time
difference since the last kernel upgrade. No matter how optimized the
startup procedure really is, it will never be the same as keeping the
status of all running applications, which always requires manual
interaction.

Therefore reboot is evil, and it should be avoided at all costs. Now since
the dbus serves as a very low service, it might require restart of all
dependent applications, which in turn could be very similar to reboot.
I'll admit here that I am not deeply familiar with the dbus interface, but
why shouldn't be possible to reliably wait for d-bus to start again? You
mentioned reliable locking, but my hope would be that the apps can choose
between the full restart requirement, and the some kind of graceful
handling of the situation. Now the way I see it, a lot of apps could be
able to do the graceful handling of the d-bus restart, and therefore it
pays of if their status is kept and the user is not forced to restart.

Regards,
Tomislav