Where to start

Tony Houghton h at realh.co.uk
Mon Mar 28 04:36:04 PST 2005

In <1111983171.7387.3.camel at localhost.localdomain>, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> On Mon, 2005-03-28 at 00:55 +0100, Tony Houghton wrote:
> > As I want one or more applications to receive messages from a capplet
> > which is not always running, I want some way for the name owner
> > (capplet) to broadcast messages to any application listening to messages
> > for that name. Is that possible?
>
> What you do is create a message of type signal and then just send it
> out. There should be no destination field in this case.

Are signals associated with a name, or do they go out on the
system/session bus? One thing that concerns me about doing it that way
is that it smacks a little of polluting a global namespace compared with
neatly routed method calls, but if you say it's OK... ;-).

> >  The "Message Routing" section just says "FIXME", so I'm
> > afraid I need a little help here!
>
> Look at the PNG/SVG diagram on the web site, perhaps.

I didn't find that very helpful at first, because it seems to cover
different things from any of the other docs, but I'm managing to pick up
hints here and there, and the more I p[ick up, the more sense I can make
of the others.

> Sorry this is a bit hard to figure out, but you're dealing with pre-1.0
> software. The eventual idea will be a nice simple tutorial using the
> GLib bindings, but not much point writing it until the API is more
> stable.

Yes, I realise I'm being a bit of a nuisance with all these questions
too. Thanks to you and John Palmieri for your help.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk